Friday, September 16, 2011

Day one, Hamburg NY - Muskogen MI

Well family, day one is in the books!  We left home around 10:30 this morning and headed into Canada via the Peace Bridge. It was a shorter trip this way versus going through Ohio. We originally had planned to stop in Detroit to see a good friend (Ironhorse rules!) but he had business in California so we entered Michigan via Sarnia. Let me confirm your suspicion, yes, it was C-O-L-D!! It barely broke 60 degrees and to make matters worse, the sun was lost behind the clouds. I don't think I will ever complain about the Peace Bridge again. The Blue Water Bridge into Port Huron (they actually have twin spans and yes, the bridge is blue too) was quite congested and the backup was long.  I'm told it's business as usual. We had a slight 26 mile out of our way jaunt, I haven't got my navigating skills on full power yet. We ended up in Muskegon, Michigan for the night. It sits right on Lake Michigan and is very pretty.  It seems that Michigan has put their waterfront to much better use than Buffalo. Anyway, we got the last room, there is an Irish dancing festival going on this weekend and every dancer is staying here. Lucky us I think, although I do believe that all Irish dancers travel only with their mothers and they all practice their dancing over the floors below them after 7pm, it must be a rule.  The picture of the theater reminded me of the old day marquee. Tonight, they had the symphany performing "Oh What a Night", music of the 60's.  I bet it was fun.  Well, we grabbed a bite to eat and called it a day.  Tomorrow morning, we catch the http://www.lake-express.com/ ferry from Muskogen to Milwaukee. We will enter a new time zone half way across.  It is about a three hour ride. It is also supposed to get a bit warmer tomorrow too.  Well, that's it for now, hugs and kisses to all!

2 comments: